The Find My app notifies you if you've left your stuff behind. Sometimes you don't want that. By setting the location of work, school and home in the Find My app, you ensure that they are seen as a trusted location. You can also set these locations to easily navigate to them.
Suppose you have started working for a new employer and you walk to the supermarket during the break to get a sandwich. After a few minutes, a notification will appear on your iPhone that you have left your MacBook, AirPods, backpack (with AirTag) and other belongings. Annoying, because the stuff is in a safe location and you don't want any notification at all. You can prevent this by setting favorite locations for work, school and home. You can also set locations for work, school, and home to easily navigate to them with Apple Maps (and Siri). You can easily control both functions.
- Set up trusted locations in Find My
- Set up locations in Apple Maps
Set up trusted locations in Find My
Take the following steps, preferably when you are at the desired location:
- Open the Find My app on the iPhone.
- Go to the Me tab
- Swipe the tab up to see the different options.
- At Location, choose the desired option, for example ‘Work’.
- Done! You will no longer receive notifications.
As you can see, you can also set trusted locations for home, work, school and gym. Spot school may not be very suitable for this, since you want your abandoned AirPods back.
In addition to the options shown, you can also create your own label. If you often have to be at a certain location, for example a hotel or conference center, you can also set this as a trusted location.
Set work, home, and school locations in Apple Maps
A completely different application is to set fixed locations for work, home and school in the Apple Maps app. You then have the option to navigate there easily, by saying to Siri: “Plan a route home”.
How to do this:
- Open the Contacts app on your iPhone, iPad or Mac.
- Go to ‘My card’ . If you don't have this yet, you must first create a contact card for yourself.
- Make sure that the addresses for work, school and home are entered correctly on your contact card.
- Sometimes it includes location suggestions from Siri; you can discard these if they are duplicates or incorrect.
- Now go to the Maps app and look under Favorites.
- Tap on Home, Work or School respectively to look whether the address is correct. If not, you can adjust it by tapping Move. This may be the case, for example, if the (staff) entrance or garage of a building is at the back, while the main entrance is at the front. You want to immediately navigate to the correct entrance.
We have many more tips about locations:
- How to see on your iPhone which locations you have been (and for how long)
- Apple Maps in CarPlay: enter address manually and find popular locations
- Share your location with others on iPhone and iPad? You can!
- Silence notifications on your Apple Watch based on location