We hardly watch traditional TV anymore. Streaming video services like Apple TV+ (try for free), Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon Prime Video are more important than ever. But local providers such as Videoland, Film1 and Ziggo also have plenty to offer. More series are added every week and it is nice if you know which series, films and documentaries really stand out. We have therefore made a selection.
New on Apple TV+: The Velvet Underground
Documentary about the famous rock band from New York, directed by Todd Haynes. We see interviews and never-before-seen behind-the-scenes footage.
Watch: The Velvet Underground
Starting Wednesday on Disney+
On display at: Disney+
Because there are quite a few new films and series on Disney+ from Wednesday, we've listed them for you:
- American Horror Story: Double Feature: Tenth season of the well-known horror series, this time with two stories set in the desert and by the sea respectively.
- Der Uberlaufer: For those who like to watch long films. War film about a young German soldier who in 1944 increasingly questions whether he is doing the right thing.
- Fauci: Documentary about immunologist Anthony Fauci, the most influential scientist in the US to manage the pandemic. He became well known for his TV appearances.
- Atlanta: Comedic drama series by Donald Glover, who gets an extra job as an artist manager for his rapping cousin as a school leaver. Watch the first two seasons on Disney.
- Pagan Peak: German crime series. A body is found on a mountain pass between Germany and Austria. Two detectives investigate the case.
- White House Farm: British crime series based on a true story. Multiple murder on a farm in Essex, with Mark Addy and Stephen Graham investigating as detectives.
- Studio Tarara: Flemish series about a fictional sketch show. When a tragic accident (?) causes someone to fall from the roof, the police come by and it turns out there's more going on than you thought.
App Store and iTunes credit
- You'll always find a great deal on your App Store cards at StartSelect.
- The best deals on iTunes cards
- Try Apple TV+ for free for 7 days, then €4.99 per month (or 1 year free with selected devices)
On display at: Netflix
A charming bookstore owner is obsessed with an aspiring writer and takes extreme steps to get her attention.
The Trip (I Onde Ager)
A man and a woman want to end their marriage by killing each other. They go to a remote house, but soon encounter an even greater danger.
The Battle of the Scheldt
On display at: Netflix
During the Second World War, the lives of a British glider pilot, a Nazi soldier and a resistance fighter are fatally intertwined during the Battle of the Scheldt. This film by Matthijs van Heijningen Jr. about a fight in Walcheren in Zeeland was also shown in the cinema.
I Know What You Did Last Summer
On display at: Amazon Prime Video
I Know What You Did Last Summer was written and produced by Sara Goodman. It is based on Lois Duncan's 1973 novel, which was also the basis for the iconic 1997 film. A year after the fatal car accident that dogged their graduation, a group of teenagers find themselves bound by a dark secret and stalked by a brutal killer. As they try to figure out who is after them, they reveal the dark side of their seemingly perfect little town – and himself. Everyone is hiding something, and discovering the wrong secret can be deadly.
- Pathé At home: watch the best movies, including recent blockbusters!
- VPN: thanks to NordVPN no more hassle with regional blocks 🌍 (what is VPN?)
- Buy gift cards for Netflix, Apple, Spotify and more 🎁
- Amazon Prime Video: 30 Days Free Watch 🍿
- Try Disney+ cheaply 🦁
- Curve: prepaid credit card to pay for your streaming services 💳 (what is Curve?)
- Bol.com: big discount on movies and series 🎬
On display at: Videoland
We follow various animals that live on the northern edge of the Atlantic Ocean. An area mainly made up of rocks, ice and water and known for its ferocious storms. We see how otters, arctic foxes, gray seals, reindeer, puffins and killer whales survive in this area.
Escape From Pretoria
On display at: Film1
Tim Jenkin and Stephen Lee are white South Africans and anti-apartheid activists. They are imprisoned for working on behalf of the African National Congress and taken to Pretoria's infamous high-security prison. There they come into contact with activist Denis Goldberg and plan an escape.
TV and internet bundles for the home Now that we are at home more often, you undoubtedly also have higher demands on your internet and TV bundle. You can save a lot with a triple play package. Triple play stands for internet, telephony and digital television via one subscription with one provider. It is also known as all-in-1, 3-in-1, combi or total package. You get extra benefits with these providers!
- Ziggo All-in-1 Benefit with non-stop extras
- T-Mobile Home, free switching service and 15 days to change your mind
- Tele2, choose a TV package that suits you
- Youfone, via the KPN network
The Death of Stalin
On display at: Ziggo
After Josef Stalin is found unconscious one morning, nobody dares to call a doctor, because Stalin has banned all his doctors. Two days later, he is pronounced dead and a power play ensues in the Kremlin.
Lost in Translation
On display at: Pathé At home
Two Americans, the actor Bob and the younger married Charlotte, meet in Tokyo and a special friendship develops
To compile this list, we have – with permission of course – made use of the info from Nieuwdezeweek.nl