macOS Big Sur 11.5 available
In the past month, Apple has been working on the beta of macOS Big Sur 11.5 in addition to the beta of macOS Monterey. This is the latest software update for the Mac, before the major update with new features comes later this year. But in macOS Big Sur 11.5 you should not expect major improvements: Apple mainly solves some problems. Fixed issues with the Podcasts app and a fix for the Music app.
Also security updates for macOS Mojave and Catalina
If you are still running macOS Mojave or Catalina, there is also an update for you. These are important security updates in which a large list of vulnerabilities and security problems have been solved. Among other things, they allowed malicious apps to gain root privileges or execute arbitrary code. There are more than 20 security fixes in total. So it's a good idea to install.
More about macOS Big Sur 11.5
Tonight's biggest update, however, is Big Sur 11.5. This update follows iOS 14.7, among other things, which contains some new functions. In the Weather app you can see the air quality in the Netherlands there, but we don't have such an app on the Mac.
Big Sur 11.5 includes the following improvements for the Mac:
- Podcasts library tab shows all shows or only the shows you follow.
- Incorrect display of music playback count and last played date.
- Smart cards should now work if you logs in to a computer with an M1 chip.
- In the ‘Library’ in Podcasts you can now choose whether you want to see all programs or only watched programs
- In your library in Music may not update the play count and last played date
- Smart cards may not work when logging in to Mac computers with the M1 chip
The following two issues have been resolved:
macOS 11.5 Big Sur release notes
You can read Apple's official release notes below:
macOS Big Sur 11.5 — Restart required
macOS Big Sur 11.5 includes the following improvements for your Mac:
This version also fixes the following issues:
More information about this update can be found at: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT211896
More information about the security aspects of this update can be found at: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
Download macOS Big Sur 11.5
You download macOS Big Sur 11.5 from System Preferences, just like with iOS. To download this update, do the following:
- Go to System Preferences.
- Click Software Update.
- The Mac will now automatically search for the latest version. Click Download and Install to download the update.
You can also adjust the settings to automatically search for the latest versions. You can read more about installing a macOS update in our article.
Note: keep the comments on-topic, concrete and clear for others. Personal status updates as to whether your download has started/success does not add anything to the discussion. It may also take a little longer before the update is visible. You don't have to report this either. These comments will be deleted.