“UT researcher let the software automatically 3d model of buildings”

0
314

A researcher at the University of Twente has developed software that 95 percent of the buildings automatically creates a 3d model can be generated. The software makes use of lasergegevens and would be much faster and cheaper than existing methods.

The developed 3d-software, built by the now-promoted Biao Xiong, makes use of lidar data. These point clouds, consisting of an average of eight readings per square meter for the whole of the Netherlands, are generated by measurements with lasers from helicopters or planes, and linked to gps data. The information is freely available via the so-called Current height file the Netherlands.

The software of Xiong, on the basis of the lidar-data frames recognize, including details such as dormers, and such parts of buildings and structures modeling. Through the data combining can be complete buildings to be modelled. The level of detail would be significantly greater than existing software.

Xiong claims that its software is capable of 95 percent of the buildings automatically a representative 3d model to generate. The other 5 percent can be manually in the software to be modelled. The method is also fast: the researcher has to say with a laptop in a week time 3d models of the entire city of Enschede. A complete model of the Netherlands would with some more manpower in a few months to put together.

The researcher together with four colleagues, the start-up Dipper started. They want to be on the basis of the developed software applications build by other companies can be. Xiong see, for example, opportunities for companies like Google that now have a lot of time and money lost would be up-to-date and accurate 3d models for Maps-postcard service to generate. Due to the highly automated process that its software is processed would Google a lot on the cost savings and also up-to-date information can offer.